Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Milk Bar

It's been a while since I've posted anything. I try not to go too long without writing about something, but sometimes my workload can get the best of me.

Back to the topic at hand, I've recently completed a new painting based on the Stanley Kubrick film A Clockwork Orange. The poster is title The Milk Bar and as with the other posters, it is available online at OnePoster and Grindstore. Below I'd like to share the process of the painting from sketch to final.

Here we have the sketch laying out the composition. The scene depicted should be recognizable to those who have seen the film. I really didn't alter it very much, except for the inclusion of the statues on the left and right. The two droogs on either end seemed to be leering at them, which I thought would be effective in alluding to the sexual themes of the film.


With paint on the canvas I found there was a nice balance between complimentary colors purple and yellow. The mood of the painting felt established.

With most of my paintings I find it's most effective to work from the background to the foreground. The most challenging aspect of this painting was trying to replicate to
he color of the mirror image statues on the left and right. A lot of back and forth painting went on. The finished painting was done with acrylic on canvas, measuring 16 x 36 inches. The original is available for purchase for those interested, just drop me an e-mail at justin@justinreedart.com.

Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. Your talent for telling stories in a single frame continues to amaze me. This painting seems to set itself apart from some of your others by the number of textures that seem to be happening. The contrast between the statues and the droogs is excellent.

    Well done Justin! Perhaps we can do a follow up interview sometime soon!
    Hope you're well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dixon. I'd be up for a follow up interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your work Justin. Thanks for sharing making of shots and discussing your process. I'm surprised a print of your Pulp Fiction isn't for sale. I'd really like to get a copy of it. As for others, I'd love to see a Kill Bill 2 showing the rest of the cast such as Bill, Pai Mei, etc, a poster of 2001, Tron, and Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas. And a Time Bandits group shot of the gang along with the Evil Genius & Supreme Being would be brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your stuff is absolutely amazing... so glad i stumbled upon it... the two i was most interested in arent on the poster sites tho :( the jaws one, and the american psycho one... can you email me info maybe? openmyeyestoblue@yahoo.com, my name is jessica :) thank u so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Jessica on this. Wil any of the others be coming out as posters??? Love the Jaws and American Psycho ones? email: the_growla@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete